I ran a workshop recently for a client who wanted to Reboot their business and create sustainable growth. Some of the output led to a new forward-looking internal “theme” for the business: – “Fresh Confidence”, – which could be used to focus their efforts in product development, in trade relationships and in consumer communications, (but not as a tag-line on advertising). Most importantly it was a call to action to influence the culture, – the “ways of working”, and behaviour of its management and teams.
We spent some time identifying what Confidence actually means, and I think some of the output is worth sharing here:-
We are confident people
- Confident but not arrogant
- Proud of our achievements but not boastful
- Confident enough to show respect for others
- Accountable for our own actions
- Professional at all times
- Focused and committed
- Confident to be part of a team, taking whichever role is necessary for the common good
- Honest and Fair, but strong negotiators.
I believe these are behaviours we should all aspire to, whatever line of business we’re in. By writing them down, and agreeing them as a team, we’re also able to hold other team members accountable for their behaviour, which allows everyone to focus on the growth of business itself.